Wednesday, December 17, 2008

More Snow...and a Bird story.









I woke up this morning to more snow. It was a beautiful morning. It was the light, fluffy kind. It was easy to shovel. I think we got about 2-3 inches. When I opened the shade there was a flock of birds at the bird feeders. I had to get a few pictures of the birds and snow.

I did, however, have a traumatic experience with a bird late this morning(This one is not as funny as the parakeet story..Craig. LOL). I heard something hit the window and I automatically knew a bird hit the picture window. I went to see if it was still lying there or if it flew away. At first glance, I just saw bird tracks in the snow below the window. "Oh good...the bird flew away."

If you don't like traumatic stories...don't read anymore...

Then I saw it....the poor goldfinch was lying in the snow with a small sparrow hawk clinching his neck..."OMG", I yelled. I could not believe my eyes. Before I knew it, the little hawk picked up the finch and flew off with it in it's beak. The finch was dead, so it didn't suffer. Still, I have never seen such a site before. (except for the traumatic parakeet episode in my kitchen when I was younger). That's another story. I know all animals have to eat! It's just nature. I just couldn't believe I was witnessing something like that. Don't worry though...we have lots of finchies and sparrows still.

On to a happier note... Rizzo was having fun in the snow this morning. He likes to chase the birds first thing in the morning, but has never managed to catch one. He likes snow, but gets cold tootsies if he's out for too long. I can't shovel with him around either. He attacks the snow shovel...literally.
John has left for work and Rizzo is now resting! Sometimes he is so predictable. Time to wrap a few presents.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com